Total Pageviews

Monday, May 13, 2013

Grand Canyon to Page


We were up at 5:am this morning to see the famous sunrise on the Grand Canyon. It was well worth it. You can only get the magnificent reds and yellows when the sun is setting or rising. It made for a long day but well worth it. I went back to bed for awhile but did not sleep much and James stayed up. So we should sleep well tonight.

As we left the Grand Canyon Village, I could see it has changed a lot  from when you and I were here Audrey, The main Lodges has about 4 annexe's now, and we stayed in one that had beautiful modern rooms. As we drove on I could see the cabins, which I believe we stayed in 50 years ago. They are still renting them. Amazing.

Since it was our last day at the Canyon we stopped at most of the points of interest as we drove, such asYavapal Point, Mather point, Pine Creek Vista, South Kaibab Trailhead, the last stop before leaving the Canyon was Dessert View. (Needless to say we have hundreds of pictures of the canyon.) For those who have been here before this is were the old tower is. James said the tower had 97 steps, at this altitude there was no way I was going to climb up.

As we drove on #89, we had to do a detour of about 140 klm. out of our planned route, when around the canyon there is no such a thing as a short detour. For some time  it was a land of flat nothing but native villages and tumble weeds.

Then!! I got the surprise of my life and this long detour brought us right to my favorite mountain, "I was wondering were it was located as I have not seen it in all our travels."
Here it was like from out of space!!! "Close Encounter of the Third Kind."
Well, this made my day, I said to James "This detour was ment to be"

What surprise awaits us tomorrow.
God is good.
Love Eleanor

One of our many stops

 Sunrise at 5 in the morning

                               The cabin, I believe is what we stayed in 50 years ago, Audrey

                                                     Wow!!! ! From here we saw the mighty river

                                          James, you are not suposed to climb over the railing


"Close Encounter of the Third Kind" ,My favorite Movie of all time

No comments:

Post a Comment